Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Journal 3 (15/03/09)

From last week, I have started to research about the herbal medicine for the assignment. I visited Parramatta library last Monday and was able to find some books relating to the topic fortunately, so I applied for a library card and borrowed five books. The next day, I went to the Holroyd library which is in the Merrylands, although it was very busy day because of my mother-in-law’s birthday. I spent about half an hour for finding books which is about the herbal remedies and nutritional herbology. When I found these books I was very pleased, because many of my classmates said to me it is very hard to find the books from any library about the topic because somebody took these books already. Anyway I was lucky, so I could get some books. Especially, in the speaking class, I chose the ginseng as the topic for presentation, so I borrowed a few books about ginseng, which has been used as a herbal remedy in Korea for a long time. Also, the teachers have given us the information about useful internet sites which are reliable. They told us that it is better to use .org, .net, .edu, or .gov. I realize that most internet sites are commercial so it was very hard to find reliable articles from internet, but when I used the databases provided by library, I could find a lot of articles which are reliable and academic. I think I can get enough sources about he topic.
Now, more important task is left. I should make a plan to write the report and try to think critically about herbal medicines. That is the main part of the assignment and one of the things I am concerned about, because critical thinking is unfamiliar to me. So, I need more practice for this ability and should change my way of thinking. It makes me stressed but also it will make me study harder so I can get a good result

No comments:

Post a Comment